One of Alabama’s prettiest restaurant settings combined with stunning interior design, a relaxed ambiance, and James Beard recognition for its excellent cuisine from the time it opened, SpringHouse at Lake Martin is under the direction of Executive Chef Rob McDaniel, a five-time semi-finalist for the James Beard Foundation’s Best Chef: South award. SpringHouse is a fine dining destination for food aficionados who come to Alexander City in droves for Chef McDaniel’s interpretation of classic Southern dishes prepared with local and seasonal ingredients.
Food doesn’t get much more southern or local than boiled peanuts in east Alabama. McDaniel’s elevates this country, roadside fare with garlic, herbs, and chiles.
This recipe is party sized and the equipment necessary for 25 pounds of peanuts would not be found in most homes. Feel free to reduce the recipe to an amount that best suits your needs and kitchen equipment. Simply reduce the ratio of peanuts to salt. You’ll need 1 pound (about 2 cups) of salt for every 8 1/2 pounds of green peanuts.
SpringHouse Famous Boiled Peanuts (Serves about 50)
- 25 pounds green peanuts in the shell
- 3 pounds Morton’s kosher salt
- 5 heads garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 20 bay leaves
- 10 dried whole hot chiles
Note: If you use dried peanuts instead of green peanuts, the cooking time will be much longer.
- Place all the ingredients in a very large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a rolling boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the peanuts, uncovered, 2-3 hours, making certain to stir the pot every 10-15 minutes. After 2 hours, taste the peanuts and continue to cook until the desired doneness is reached. Remove the peanuts from the heat. Strain the peanuts, retaining a quart of the cooking liquid for later. Discard the remaining cooking liquid, garlic heads, bay leaves, and chiles, and chill 24 hours before serving. Serve the boiled peanuts cold or heat them back up to serve hot. You may add want to use a bit of the reserved cooking liquid to heat up the peanuts.
SpringHouse 12 Benson Mill Road | Alexander City, Alabama 35010 256-215-7080 | SpringHouseAtCrossroads.com
Find McDaniels’ recipe for SpringHouse Pimento Cheese in the Alabama Cravings cookbook. And discover nearby Auburn area restaurants in Martie’s Alabama restaurant guide.